Questions For Your Hospice Evaluation
A hospice evaluation might seem overwhelming to you, but preparing a list of questions in advance can help the appointment go smoothly. Casa de la Luz Hospice provides free hospice evaluations with a registered nurse, and can be requested by a healthcare professional, a friend or family member, or the patient. An individual might be appropriate for hospice care if he or she has a terminal diagnosis, is not pursuing curative treatments, and has a life expectancy of six months or less.
If you are eligible for care, and choose to sign up for hospice services, you are trusting the hospice provider and their staff to care for you in your own home. When meeting with the nurse, keep these questions in mind so you can make sure the hospice is the right fit for you.
- When was the hospice established? How long have they been providing care?
- How soon did the hospice respond to your request for an evaluation?
- How many physicians are on staff, and how involved are they in care planning?
- Can the chaplains connect us to our preferred faith community?
- If the level of care my loved one needs exceeds what can be provided in the home, where will the hospice provide inpatient care? Do they provide inpatient care in their own facility, or are they contracted with another facility?
If you or someone you love would like more information about hospice care in Tucson, contact Casa de la Luz Hospice at (520) 544-9890.Back to Articles