Is It Time for a Hospice Evaluation?
It’s not uncommon for us to have patients on our service for just a few days. The hospice referral often comes late, for any number of reasons.
A late hospice referral always saddens us because we wish we could have had more time to assist the patient and their loved ones. And, we know from surveys that families say, “We wish we had known about hospice sooner.”
But how do you know when the right time to call hospice is? Are there certain signs or symptoms you should be looking for as you’re caring for your loved one?
Here are a few questions we recommend asking yourself to help determine if it’s the right time to set up a hospice evaluation. If you can answer yes to at least a few of these questions, contact a local hospice in your area today. To locate a hospice, visit NHPCO’s Caring Connections and click Find A Hospice.
- Is your loved one losing weight?
- Is your loved one losing interest in food?
- Is your loved one sleeping more or most of the time?
- Is your loved one losing interest in the world around him or her?
- Is your loved one decreasing interaction with their loved one?
- Is your loved one experiencing a decreased ability to move around?
- Is your loved one falling often?
- Is your loved one experiencing an inability to perform the tasks of daily living?
- Is your loved one becoming weaker?
- Is your loved one requiring increased visits to the ER for chronic health issues?
- Has your loved one expressed that he/she no longer wishes to go to the hospital or ER?
- Is curative treatment no longer an option, or has your loved one declined to continue treatments for his/her illness?
Casa de la Luz Hospice has been providing hospice services to the Tucson community since 1998. Our mission is to provide superior care to patients and their loved ones, so that they may complete their mission on this earth in comfort, dignity, and harmony. To learn more about how we can assist you and family, call our office at 520-544-9890.Back to Articles