Funeral & Memorial Benefits for Veterans
Organizing final arrangements is no simple task, especially if your family member is or was a veteran. Service members and their families might be eligible for certain memorial benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. These benefits are offered in the form of financial assistance or a memorial item.
We recommend being proactive with your research so you’re completely aware of your benefit options. Available options, for eligible persons, are burial and funeral expense allowances; headstone, marker, or medallion; burial flag; presidential memorial certificate; and/or military funeral honors.
Information and applications are located online on the National Cemetery Administration website, or you can ask your funeral home provider for help. Below are some questions to get you started.
- Am I eligible for a VA burial allowance reimbursement?
- What is the minimum and maximum amount of reimbursement I might receive from the VA for burial/funeral expenses?
- Can you provide the Application for Burial Benefits, and what supporting documents do I need to submit with my application?
- What non-monetary benefits are provided by the VA?
- How are my benefits affected if my loved one is buried in a national versus a private cemetery?