From the Archives: Three Steps for Moving Through Grief
The following three steps can assist you in dealing with your grief and move you toward a more joyful life experience, one you know your deceased loved one would wish for you.
1. Grant yourself permission for self forgiveness, acknowledging your membership in a mostly well intentioned, though flawed, human race.
2. Express your regrets in a way most comfortable for you:
- Write a letter to your loved one who died.
- Document your feelings in a journal.
- Talk to your deceased loved one at the graveside or gaze at a picture, expressing your feelings.
- Work with a counselor or therapist
3. Write the following affirmations nine times twice daily, morning and night for 30 days. This process communicates your intent for self-forgiveness to your deepest self.
“I forgive myself for everything, real or imagined.”
“I forgive myself completely.”
Most importantly, nurture yourself with kindness and experience light and joy in your life.
Self-forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself and others. As others experience your light they find a path to their own.
By Bonnie Knobloch, RN, M.Ed, Casa de la Luz bereavement counselor
If you or someone you know is struggling with the death of a loved one, and are in Pima County, contact Casa de la Luz Hospice for information on our free grief support groups. All groups are open to the public.Back to Articles