Friday Five Cares for an Aging Population
The Friday Five is our weekly roundup of links to smart articles and helpful resources across the Web.
1. It’s great to see family caregiving take a leading role in this new television special hosted by actress Holly Robinson Peete. Your Turn to Care includes four half-hour specials that will air nationally and a corresponding website. Family caregivers are encouraged to share their stories, and the site offers resources for caregivers.
2. If you’re caring for a loved one with a chronic heart condition, take the time to explore the American Heart Association’s website. We discovered this helpful article about heart-healthy grocery shopping. It offers suggestions to guide each part of your shopping list, from vegetables and fruits to oils, dressings, and shortenings.
3. When it comes to caring for a seriously ill loved one or an elderly parent, you’re going to want to organize the important documents. You don’t want to be caught tearing the house apart during a crisis situation trying to find birth certificates, military records, insurance policies, or any other number of documents. This AARP article, How to Organize Important Documents, offers a great three-step plan to get you started today.
4. Are you a healthcare professional caring for a patient with a terminal diagnosis? If treatment is no longer a viable option for your patient, maybe it’s time to begin the hospice discussion with him/her. Many professionals are uncomfortable with this topic, or unsure how to introduce it. Living with Serious Illness for Pima County offers a downloadable pdf, Initiating a Hospice Discussion, to guide you through the conversation.
5. Have you started following Casa de la Luz Hospice on Twitter yet? We post all kinds of content, including links to articles and resources, and routinely participate in hospice discussions and advance care planning.Back to Articles